Monday, December 3, 2012

AGE – wanna be younger?

I’m 66 – perhaps I sound younger if I tell you that I’m 66-1/2? Or did that just make it sound immature and pathetic?  No matter how we announce our age, we have this constant dissatisfaction with respect to how old we are; seemingly, we are never truly settled nor satisfied with our actual age - don’t you think that’s weird?
Okay, from new-born till I was 6 years old, I probably couldn’t have cared less about age, because I didn’t know any better; existing was simple. It was all about sleeping, eating, pooping and playing 24/7; what a life, huh?
Then I started to become age-conscious; all of a sudden I was not happy with 6 and couldn’t wait till I hit 7. 7 arrived and 10 was the next new goal. At 15 I couldn’t wait for 18, as 18 was some kind of big-age-step, including a license to drive (in Denmark). Of course at 18 I was longing for the drinking age at 21 (in the USA) and time to legally get shit-faced (that would be drunk - in most languages).
From that point on I cruised till I was 40 without many age-concerns; but at 40 I reminded myself that I had reached mid-life, meaning about half of the expected lifespan – Yuk, if you ask me…
I celebrated 50 with a nice party, but realized that now I had fewer years left than I had already lived; reality with a bit of morbid flavor – don’t you agree?
At 60 I finally figured out that there wasn’t a heck of a lot I could do about that age-thing. For a short period of time, I seriously contemplated the whole old fart issue and the limited time I had left – I really did. It was depressing in a sad and pathetic way. But I got out of it by realizing how much life I had left, how I seriously enjoyed life much more now than ever. How fortunate I am being married to my very best friend (and she’s younger – not that it matters); two great sons, cute pets, superb family and loving friends and we also live in one of the most beautiful areas and so forth – I can’t complain.
So the question: want to be younger? There were moments around 60 where I did have thoughts of what if? But they were just thoughts and then the urge of getting younger disappeared as I realized how lucky I actually was – right there and then, and right here and now.
We are bombarded from all sides, that it’s (for whatever reason) cooler to be younger, look younger, act younger, no matter our age. Some people buy into it, and I fully respect that – to each his/her own, as the saying goes. But in a few cases I think some of those people look silly in the process, especially when they are trying too hard.
Of course I have had fantasies about being 20-something with the life experience and knowledge I have today. Wow, I mean how cool would that be, on so many levels – hubba hubba. And then I swing back to life as it really is, smile, giggle, but still think: “it could have been some serious fun, huh?”
So how are you handling this whole thing? Are you purchasing rejuvenating lotions, drinking from the spring-of-youth, dress under your real age and below your actual size, use the term “DUDE” and “OMG” a lot and only give your real age to the police – when asked? Do you actually really want to be younger than you are? Or are you one of those real weird and unpredictable persons who are rather satisfied being your age? I hope you cope, and welcome in the club – it took me a while to become a member.
Age is a measure we to some extent are not comfortable with. When I hit the tender age when I could actually buy tickets for the movies at a senior citizen discount (Yuk), saving a buck or two, I refused to take advantage of that, as I was not ready to give my advanced age away. And really, how pathetically stupid was that? Now I don’t give a hooters and I save as many dollars my age will carry – even got to the point when buying anything: (with a pretend shaky old person voice): “How much is the senior citizen discount on this?” Sometimes I get a few bucks off, but most of the time they rightfully roll their eyes and think: “old fart…” I can’t blame them – but a buck is still a buck, huh?
And why is it that it’s okay to ask a male gender person his age, but asking a female her age is seemingly against Federal law? Do you know why? I think it’s stupid and therefore I have never had a problem asking any female her age – when appropriate and consistent with the situation, of course. Okay, I’m not naïve enough to believe that I’m always told the truth, but in most cases I think I am.
So why do we have such a hard time dealing with our age, whatever it is? Why is it that we make it totally clear that we are 12-1/2 years old and not just 12? I always giggle when somebody older still uses the -1/2, as in 66-1/2. I’m not sure what it means; to me that additional -1/2 means squat, while I remember that I also used it a lot back then.
The deal is that there is not much we can do about this age/time thing. No matter what, it is constantly moving forward – it will never stop and it most certainly will never roll back – no matter how much we would like it to. Sure, behaving immaturely, which I am a master at doing, might cut a few years, but does not leave a positive image – far from; pitiable comes to mind.
So how old will I get (since I’m not getting any younger)? From I was a teenager, I have had this theory that I will outlive my last living parent by at least 5 years. I live a healthy life; I don’t do a lot of stupid things that would shorten my expected life-expectancy. My dear Mother is 92 (-1/2, giggle giggle), so I am heading towards 97 (-1/2). So far, that is giving me about another 31 years – plus (-1/2?) to enjoy life.
I have always appreciated life – at least a vast majority of the time. But now life feels even more precious, fun and interesting in a much more concentrated way. I really wish the younger people would understand the importance of enjoying where they are now. Stay your age, enjoy and appreciate, as well as respect the fact that we do only get this one chance – so don’t screw it up, as life does not have time for petty and ignorance.
Live life to the fullest (within what’s legal) – while also accepting that we will not get any younger, no matter what we do and how hard we try; but that’s also okay – it really is.
Till next Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment