Monday, October 29, 2012

WHAT’S YOUR SECRET, VICTORIA?

Well, if Victoria told you her secret, it wouldn’t be a secret anymore, would it? At least that’s how I see it; but according to the official interpretation of what a secret is, I am surprisingly wrong – can you believe that? But I really don’t care, as I am convinced that I’m right; of course I have yet to find anybody else agreeing with me concerning this – hard to understand, don't you think?
Anyway, I’m sure you don’t really care if I’m right or wrong about secrets, as you are much more intrigued about whom the heck Victoria is? I’ll explain…
Here in the USA Victoria’s Secrets is a top-notch retail chain with over 1,000 stores; branches in Canada, the UK and some other countries. They promote and sell bras, panties, sleepwear, lingerie and stuff like that; yeah, for women, duh! What I’m concerned, they use some of the world’s hottest models for their catalogs and the image they project is first class sexy and sensuous – therefore my play on words: “Victoria’s Secret / What’s your secret, Victoria?- Pretty darn cool, huh? Well, back to life as it really is.
When we are hiding information, we call it a secret and stuff we keep hidden is kept in secrecy. Surreptitiously or clandestinely means the same, but is harder to pronounce; for me at least - English being my second language.
Secrets can be controversial depending on content or motivation. We conceal aspects of ourselves due to shame, fear, rejection and harassment, loss of acceptance or employment – just to line up a few. And some conceal very personal aspects about themselves; information that might prevent certain goals to be achieved or for reasons that would make certain individuals look rather bad. If you “forget” to tell her that you are on FBI’s most wanted list for murder, (that slightly insignificant minor detail about you that you are not too wild about sharing), she might actually go on a date with you; secrecy at its worse – wouldn’t you say?
Family secrets are also a hot number, where whole families bar outsiders from sharing certain issues; as trivial as recipe secrets to information that will cause shame and dishonor to the family or individual family members.
Government secrecy includes, but is not limited to, concealment of weapons design, diplomatic negotiation tactics, military, defense, strike-force availabilities and a huge load more. Keeping certain secrets is substantiated as betterment for the people; perhaps a consideration that is ill-honored in some cases? I truly believe in truth between a government and the people it is governing. Yes, there is certain information I do not want the enemy to obtain, of course. But with respect to what should be known and what should be kept in secrecy, should be conducted on a level of logical trust between the government and the people; at least to the extent and consideration where nobody will get hurt.
My favorite concerning secrets is the secrecy about secrets obtained secretly from foreign secret services; secrets that are covertly extracted from their concealed secret information channels. The interesting thing is that this is so secret that nobody really knows about it; well, except me, of course. This is as secret as any secrecy will get – so to cover our National Buns of Steel, please don’t tell anybody about this. You did NOT hear it from me… Who?
But we are not the only species with secrets. You try asking a squirrel where he’s hiding his nuts, and he will not leak a word – true story. Some animals are masters in concealing (being secret about) their nests and dens and stuff like that, trying to keep these secrets from their un-friendly predators – and good for them.
Then there are all those societies of secrecy, where the members get to do all those cool rituals and secret handshakes, wow! Oh, and did you hear about the secret association back in 1987 that ceased to exist after 164 years? The reason was that they got so carried away and became so utterly secret, that tragically, the members, due to the highly hushed secrecy, ended up not knowing if they were actually members anymore; nobody knew. I mean, how freaking secret is that? Another true story.
The definition of “secret” is hiding information from certain individuals or groups. But of course we also have laws that require certain information is kept in secrecy: medical records, some financial reports and most of all, my diary; just to name a few of the more important ones. And then we come to the most important secret holder: YOU.
Yes, we all have secrets – every single one of us (except me, of course). It can be secrets about stuff we did, are going to do, thoughts and feelings from all over the place, emotions about somebody that we can never reveal or share. It can be evil secrets of revenge or disgrace and perhaps some positive secrets. But we all hold on to some and the reason being that if shared they might pop out as being hurtful, things that nobody would understand, serve no purpose, will expose and/or create jealousy, envy, sorrow – and you get the idea. So keeping a secret or two is not all bad.
What I’m concerned I really do not have any secrets of any great importance (dang it). What I do not expose is more so my very personal (secret) evaluation of things around me, especially people. Would some of these “evaluations” be hurtful if exposed? I can honestly say that for the most part they wouldn’t; but I will still hold on to my right to carry these “secrets” around in a little locked box.
Listen, do you want to know a secret, do you promise not to tell…” was part of a song John Lennon of the Fab Four (Beatles) sang in the early 1960s. A sweet song with a bit of a naïve request …”do you promise not to tell…” The more innocent secrets, secrets that are happy secrets, I cannot keep quiet about if you give me a million bucks – not going to happen. I get a gift for my wife six weeks before her birthday – and she will know precisely what it is – six weeks before her birthday; so there, and no harm done.
We are not really that good about keeping secrets of any kind. How often has somebody sneaked up to you and said: “Keep this to yourself, but I hear Frances is seeing somebody other than her husband…” And then you ask somebody else to “keep it to themselves,” and the ball is in play.
So I am yet again tooting my horn about when a secret dissolve into a non-secret. I mean isn’t it logical? I have this fantastic secret, and if I cannot keep my mouth closed, it goes “poof” and is no more.
Oh crap, I just realized that I must have heard it from somebody else, so hasn’t that secret already melted away? Oh my goodness, I didn’t even think of that – now I have to re-tool this whole secret-thing philosophy; bummer.
Perhaps I’ll ask Victoria to help me; she might actually know the secret behind it all. Or is she just taunting and teasing me with the Victoria’s Secret stuff? I’ll never know, because I’m so sure that none of those hot models would even consider talking to me…
Oh joy, I just realized we have a friend named Victoria; wow, I can just ask her – and she is not bad looking at all – far from. So perhaps she’ll know (if she’ll talk with me after I have mentioned her here…).
See you next Monday – and that’s only a secret till you tell somebody; so please do…
Take a peek at Victoria's Secret (NO, I'm NOT compensated to any extent, other than WOW...)
http://www.victoriassecret.com

No comments:

Post a Comment