Monday, October 8, 2012

FITNESS – actually rather awesome

Johnny Carson, who hosted the Tonight Show for 30-some years, talked with his side-kick Ed McMahon about “fitness”. Johnny was into tennis and the daily use of his gym at home. Then it was Ed’s turn (for those not familiar with these two people, Ed was a tad “weight-challenged”, as in a lot out of shape). He explained: “I make so much money that I have somebody exercise for me…” Way to go, Eddie-Baby…
The whole fitness and health craze has raced around for the last many years and is a multi-billion dollar business these days. I have no problem with that, as I see it as a helping sponsor and encouragement to exercise for better and healthier lives; well for most of us, and don’t you think that’s good?
When I recall my childhood (1832) and fitness, it consisted of playing club-soccer, training 3-4 times weekly from I was around 5 years old; in Denmark we all bicycled everywhere and when the frozen lake could carry me and my keyed on skates, my Mother had to constantly drag me home in the dark, way past my bedtime; I couldn’t get enough.
In school, PE (physical education) was a couple of times weekly. We played soccer and team-handball; we jumped over and crawled under all kinds of stuff. I don’t remember anybody telling us WHY we had to do it – only that we HAD to; but all of it spelled: fitness.
And then we grow up and we grow bigger and then we want to grow smaller, with less body-fat and wishfully decorated with hard-body features like “six-packs” abs (not the Bud’s); so we huff and we puff and we sweat and hopefully we stick to it…
I continued to bike into adulthood. Trained about 200 miles weekly and often participated in century and double-century rides (100 & 200 miles) on the weekends; I was in terrific shape, though still nerdy looking, six-packs or not.
But then one day I was suddenly scared as big trucks and other motorists seemed to race by closer and faster as ever - so that was it, I quit; one of the toughest decisions I have ever made - seriously. My new-found fear stemmed from the reality check, that if the contest came down to me and an 18-wheeler, I was the one they’d had to scrape off the pavement. Being buried as road-kill was not a pretty picture; see what I mean?
So we joined a local fitness club. I don’t think I can mention the name, as I haven’t asked for permission. All I can say is that this great club is by our local airport, but other than that, my lips are sealed (both of them). I was not trying to become the next Mr. Solar-System-Arnold-Look-Alike, with oiled muscles from limb to shiny limb – I just wanted to feel good, and that I do.
I go to the club (by the airport) about 4 times weekly. Half of the time I enjoy exercising and the other half I just feel it’s something I have to do and therefor lack the joy of doing so.
During those many years of huffing and puffing, I have lost approximately 676 pounds (that would be 307 kilos if the metric system is your thing). Surprisingly enough, during those same years I found approximately 662 of those pounds again - and I wasn’t even looking for them; go figure.
Averaging a weight-loss of a bit over one pound annually isn’t impressive, but that’s also okay. I know I can do better, and right now I’m actually doing a heck of a lot better, thank you – lost over 14 pounds since January; and lost them for good, it seems like.
According to the pedometer I got some 20 months ago, I have walked over 2,500 miles (4,000 kilometers), which is like walking all the way from San Francisco to Atlanta (Georgia) or from Stockholm (Sweden) to Rome (Italy) to Copenhagen (Denmark) – and surprisingly, my feet are not even sore… It’s actually cool to keep track. You’d be surprised how much you actually walk in a year. Of course it helps to walk the dog a few times daily and get on the treadmill at the club – by the airport, but even everyday walking adds up – and it’s so darn good for us.
In the club I try to stay focused by listening to music on my iPod and when on the stationary bike, it’s Chopin in my ears while reading books off my Kindle. The time in the seat goes a lot faster that way – just get it over with, is my basic attitude.
I watch in awe how some of the people at the club go through their routines. When I go early in the day (5:30AM) there is a woman who is tearing through floor-exercises with a purpose. I am really impressed and inspired watching the energy and dedication; it makes me step it up a bit.
The staff is friendly and smiling, makes you feel we are on the same team, encouraging you with smiles and a bit of passing-by chit-chatter. I socialize a little bit; found a few club pals. For the most part I get going, get it over with and then get out. No matter the quality of the daily workout, I always feel great afterwards, mind, body and soul – never fails.
Yes, we do have the guys (aren’t they everywhere?) who suck in their bellies and pump out their chests when any female walks by – kind of cute, though, because what do I care…
Yes, we also have the few guys, who are pumping and pushing, huffing and puffing, groaning and moaning, loudly banging the equipment around for more attention, while sweating as if they were a sub-division to the Hoover Dam. They get up after every set and walk around in small circles, to see if anybody is watching them. I quickly look down, while continuing reading “Heidi” and giggle… they are so immature, because nobody cares – nobody is really impressed, huh?
The feeling we experience after a really good work-out, long walk or hike is fabulous, it really is. Encouraging feel-good chemicals are being released in our bodies, and any stress level sinks fast. If you haven’t tried it lately, go ahead, give yourself a treat. You don’t need fancy equipment, tight-fitting Latex (oh, baby…) or much of anything to get a program together.
Though I have never done drugs let alone being dependent on any (other than my wife, of course), I can only imagine what it’s like. But I do know that the fitness drug is healthier for mind, body and soul and I can highly recommend it, because it is actually rather awesome – just takes a tiny effort; and you can too.
See you at the gym – by the airport… 

No comments:

Post a Comment