Monday, April 15, 2013

LOGIC – doesn’t always make sense

Chopin composed a beautiful little piece for piano called: Waltz in D Flat Major, better known as The Minute Waltz. The thing is that for most of us, it takes about a minute and forty-nine seconds to play; nobody can play that piece in one minute, not even Chopin – it is physically impossible. Was time slower back in the early 1800 or was he trying to be funny? It should have been called: The One Minute and Forty-Nine Second Waltz. My point is: logic doesn’t always make sense.
I think we use the term logic rather loosely, where we should probably use the phrase assumption in its place – being the much looser version of logic. Now, if you have paid attention through the many posts published in this blog by yours truly, you must know by now that I am not a huge fan of assumptions. It’s a term indicating an understanding based on something not totally realistic and without much logical validity. Kind of a term we hide behind, stating (loosely) a more or less made up opinion or what about basic guesswork; ring any bells?
Yeah, here they go again: of course the Greeks came up with the word LOGIKE (they were such bad spellers), but more civilized societies quickly turned it into logic. It explains the mode of valid reasoning; a known action causing a predicted reaction. You stick any of your fingers or somebody else’ nose (which is a lot more fun) into a burning candle (the action) and that will cause extreme pain, loud screaming and use of terrible language (the predicted reaction). The logic is, that since somebody told you that it would hurt like Hell (and it certainly did), your response was predictable – it was a logical reaction. If you don’t believe me, try it…
Logic can to some extent be connected to consistency, that validity thing, completeness and soundness; but don’t be fooled, because logic can shoot out of the water by the smallest diversion. What I’m concerned, logic must cover its butt fully to be, well – logical. Experience makes it consistent, which validates the reaction as it completes the soundness of the predicted screaming and yelling (by either you or the unfortunate person behind the nose). But it has to be totally consistent to be filed under logic; I knew you would agree…
So we should only use logic when any form of diversion is non-existent; if that’s not possible, then pull out the bag of assumptions, please. Real live logic is of course found big time within mathematics (most sciences), where two plus two makes four (again and again). Even utterly complicated mathematical problems have logic attached, not just the two plus two, but a lot of that I do not understand and never will, logic or no logic.
I was 13 and rather nerdy and shy when I walked up to Berit (hot as could be – hubba hubba) and asked if she would be my girlfriend; she said not even if it would help the space-program, while laughing hysterically (go figure). My idiot friends, supportive and compassionate (duh) were laughing just as hard while spitting out between their teeth: “predictable logic” or something close to that – jerks.
But to me, it was not illogical to go ask Berit, because there was a chance, no matter how bloody thin, that she might have said that I had one in a million chances to ever be her boyfriend. You see, that would mathematically have left me with a speck of hope. So the whole thing did have a possibility attached, but unfortunately not enough to be filed under a predictable logical outcome; 100% logic was not involved – according to me. Berit and I did end up dating for a short time a few years later, proving my one in a million chances theory correct; so take that…
My point is that logic should not be used so freely, because for the most part, we are not using it correctly. Berit turned me down on my first try, not really based on logic, but based on the laws of nature (I was so nerdy and she was soooo hot); it was an expected outcome due to the same set of laws: unrealistically predicted expectations and common sense – duh… (Crap, I nearly wrote logic…)
But logic is not the only word or term we are using incorrectly if we need to be correct. On these shores you say: “sleeping with” when you actually mean “having sex with” (I never figured out WHY that is – I mean: really?) Most people say: “It’s raining outside” My logic says: “Where the heck else would it rain – inside?” Misplacing a boomerang is an assumption; but wouldn’t logic tell us that we can’t throw it away? Logically this blog’s Australian readers must be able to confirm this - and so forth…
Of course this whole logic issue is so totally up to our own interpretation as we see fit, as we understand and then use it. For the most part we all understand what you mean, and in most cases we will not sue you for misuse. It’s like telling the truth where we are not particularly telling the truth as a true reality, but we are telling the truth as we believe it is – and we do so truthfully (for the most part). All this works for me on so many levels and I’m sure you can clearly see the logic in that – or didn’t I explain myself well enough? Oh so deep…


BUT LET’S FINISH ON A LIGHTER NOTE
Young boy: “When I grow up I want a moustache - just like Grandma’s”…
***
Wife: “I want a divorce. All these years you have never understood a word I have said…”
Husband: “What do you mean?”
***
She refused to give mouth-to-mouth CPR, because she was not that kind of girl…
***
He ate way too many sweets and went into candy-mortis…
***
You look familiar…
Yeah, I hear that a lot – especially from my wife…
***
Remember age is just a measure of time, not a measure of knowledge or maturity
***
Is it possible to tie somebody up with no strings attached?
***
Did you know that Tchaikovsky had BALL BUSTERS as the original title for his famous ballet before it was titled THE NUTCRACKER?

No comments:

Post a Comment