Monday, November 19, 2012

GIVING THANKS – but just once a year?

After hundreds of years, President Roosevelt finally signed into law, that we shall officially stuff a turkey and then our faces, every fourth Thursday in November – like forever, I think he said. Being linked to a romantic part of history and the tradition we fully embrace, this grand celebration of appreciation is rightfully called Thanksgiving. In importance, it is right up there with my birthday.
We get together with family and friends, people we love or at least like. We enjoy the extended meal; perhaps even the extended weeks of left-overs. And in between eagerly stuffing our faces, we express thanks and appreciation, not just for the food and Aunt Angela’s many hours in the kitchen – but universal thanks for everything, pretty much. But that’s where I get a bit miffed; why are we dedicating just one day a year to give thanks?
What I’m concerned, we are spoiled. Now, don’t get all huffy puffy with steam coming out your ears. In this case I use “spoiled” to describe something a tad ignorantly cute, though it is seriously an issue we should pay more attention to.
I can swing with calendar days dedicated to remembrance and acknowledgement; most of us respect those days. Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, D-Day and so forth, with my all-time favorite: Valentine’s Day (it’s the high-calorie chocolate, of course). But do I really need this once-a-year reminder of how much I adore my wife? I acknowledge my love for her every single day, including deep respect and appreciation - thank you.
So an annual reminder of giving thanks? We are spoiled to the extent that we have so much stuff and many people to be thankful for; and we pretty much take it all for granted. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like we don’t appreciate all these things, family and friends, but shouldn’t we at least acknowledge all this joy more than just once a year? I know, you and I do it all the time – but it’s the rest out there I’m worried about…
No, I am not asking anybody to run around and verbally express gratitude and thanks every time we leave the seat down or water of your choice is running or not, as you turn the faucet thing left or right. I don’t find it necessary to send Bill Gates a thank-you note every time Windows 7 performs as it is supposed to.
But what I would like us to do more is acknowledge the thousands of daily wonders we are surrounded by, what makes it all work and who makes it all function; pay more attention to the people we love, by letting them know; and appreciate the ones who love and appreciate us; a bit more of that will improve the quality of our daily lives - don’t you agree?
We function better when encouraged – we really do. We put in a bit more energy when somebody tells us how much they appreciate our effort. Acknowledgement, being thankful and appreciation go both ways; it is as gratifying to give as it is to receive - and not just once a year.
Instead of telling our children we love them, let’s tell them why we love them. Tell your husband he still looks hot in those underwear he bought 14 years ago; he will giggle with appreciation, and still not get rid of them. Leave a bottle of wine and a card that says: “Great job” and your co-worker will feel like a million; and the list is long. And always remember, the biggest sign of appreciation, thankfulness and acknowledgment is that great smile of yours.
The list of what I appreciate cannot to any extent be crammed into just one day of thanks, no matter how much great gravy goes with it. So I try to spread it out and that helps making my life even fuller; I can highly recommend it and it doesn’t cost a dime.
The fourth Thursday every November, we celebrate Thanksgiving. But remember, giving thanks is the exciting 364 day feast that can be just as warm, rich and rewarding – and without the turkey leftovers.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Here in the USA we celebrate a day of thanks. If interested to know a bit more about this day and its history, I published a post November 2011 that you might be interested in reading – so here’s the link:  

No comments:

Post a Comment