Monday, August 15, 2011

WOMEN, ME & EQUALITY (and it rhymes)

They say that even those devout macho type males, who can open beer-bottles with their teeth, have a feminine side. I don't fully know what that means, actually, but let’s run with it anyway. I suspect my feminine side is above average, as I have always felt more satisfied and relaxed in the company of women. No, you masculine-fire-breathing dudes, it’s not always about sex and football. It’s about relating, communicating, respecting, accepting, trusting and exposing feelings, honesty and thoughts, plus a lot more; and  NO I do not dress up in mini-skirts and high heels Tuesday evenings as some of you still believe I do... (But there’s an idea…)
Asking most women how they have been, they will tell you and for the most in great detail; I like that very much. Asking your macho male friends and they’ll respond: “Dude!” while they spit the beer-cap out and readjust their crotch area – yet again… Now, don’t get mad, I know that none of the male readers of this blog would ever do that; I'm just trying to make a point (lawsuits avoided?) The reality is that males and females are different on so many levels; that’s the thing we still have a hard time accepting and adjust to. My mantra is that: When each of us respect diversity, we will all get stronger – together. I live by that on all levels and it applies well to the relationship between males and females.
When our two genders start listening more to each other instead of wasting time trying to fit the other side into molds we genetically do not fit into very well, we will be on the right track. Remember that we are not at war; we are all on the same team wearing slightly different uniforms, but aiming at the same goal; so why not cooperate? Yes, “dudes”, it involves give and take, and many women do drink beer, already meeting you half way. I think that both genders are still stubborn and somewhat set in what is perceived as being “the only way”, but we really need to discard that and work together towards an understanding and respect concerning our differences – are you still with me?
Dee Dee Myers, former White House press secretary during Clinton’s first term, wrote a book I highly recommend you read. The title: Why Women Should Rule the World is of course provocative and to me a bra-burning-suggestive, but don’t let my interpretation of the title fool you. Dee Dee is telling us as it is, or more so as it SHOULD be. I fully agree with her thoughts and I’m there with pom-poms and encouragement for ALL of us to move forward and more so hand in hand than in-front or behind each other; let’s try that side-by-side thing.
Dee Dee was kind enough to send me a letter (a response to a note I sent her after I read the book), where she stated (quote): The road ahead won’t be easy; it never is. And if it was, women would already have achieved equal status (end of quote). Equal status on equal levels; I couldn’t agree more. Gender-wise we will always have differences, I most certainly hope, so we need to respect, understand and learn more about these differences and when we do, we apply that knowledge and the sky will be our only limit. Just imagine what we can accomplish together - wow. 
Concerning the good old Viking days and equality (since you asked), the images we are fed are of them rough and tough raiding and looting fellows killing everything left and right while wearing funny hats (no horns, actually); so utterly macho and chauvinistic. But historians have found that women in the Viking society were the key-holders to the chests (no, not those things, you silly person; the family chests holding the gold and silver and stuff…). They were in charge at home and kept in high regard and respected by the males. I clearly see that in today’s Scandinavia as it was also very apparent through my life in Denmark and so many years after the end of the Viking-Age. I always had the greatest respect for the seemingly natural equality I experienced there. Why not learn at least a little bit from something that took place a thousand years ago; yes indeed, why not?

Now don't get me wrong, we have come a long way since them rough and tough Vikings did that raiding bit, but it seems that we could move even faster towards that equality thing by being less stubborn. Are you doing your part already?

So all I suggest is that since each gender have such a massive library of superb and different skills, thoughts, logic, ideas, emotions and the list is very long on both sides, is to make a combined effort of team-work for all of us to forge ahead into the future faster than we would ever have imagined. Combining the two seemingly opposing teams into one is the deal – really.
 So let’s listen more across gender lines, let’s learn more about each other and let’s apply some of those many things we learn with respect and appreciation and we will see a much brighter future a lot faster – hand in hand and side-by-side. And then perhaps one day, every single one of us will be able to open beer-bottles with our teeth, watch football while breast-feeding our babies and make the same money for the same job – maybe a tad optimistic, but it could happen, duh! I know that we are already getting closer every single day, bit by bit; we are all heading in the right direction. I do hope you agree – really. (Shoot, I think I chipped a tooth – I’ll have wine next time)…

No comments:

Post a Comment