Monday, January 23, 2012

FACING A FEW PHRASES

I TRUST YOU AS FAR AS I CAN THROW YOU.
When I say that I trust you 2 feet 4 inches, you fully understand what I mean, huh? The gist of this phrase is that I trust you, but not a whole lot, because I can probably only throw you a few inches. I obviously trusted Victoria (my hamster) more than I trust you, because I threw her 45 feet and then some. I even trust she’ll return home any day now – I really miss her; wouldn’t you?
A BAKER’S DOZEN
This phrase dates back to 1200-something, meaning a bit more than 12. Not to short-change customers, bakers would add a loaf when they sold a dozen loaves, making it 13 (duh!) It was not so much about quantity, but more so about weight. Here’s a test for you: Go to your local baker and buy 12 loaves of bread and see if the baker-person automatically adds a 13th loaf – yeah, like that will happen. If not, remind the baker-person about this 812 year old law and the response will no doubt be “what?” Well, it’s worth a try, and good luck with that.
AWAY WITH THE FAIRIES
Not a phrase we use a lot today; most of you might not have heard this one at all – and here’s why: The phrase refers to a person who is not living or facing reality (politicians come to mind); they live in a dream & fantasy world of their own. Small elf-like beings are called fairies, and we can swing with that, but we can’t use that term if we feel an urge to be “politically correct” as it also refers to a sexual preference in a derogatory way. And isn’t that silly, because I do like the word “fairies”, but can only use it when I’m alone – and where’s the fun in that?
          For the most, phrases make immediate sense; we understand them right away, even if we haven’t heard them before. But again, why can’t we just say it like it is? “I don’t trust you” instead of that whole thing about throwing you around; there’s an idea. I’m still struggling with the Danish phrase (translated): “If and if and if, I wish my butt was pointed.” That’s what it says. Okay, so the deal is that we wish for something not attainable or so out of reach. But why wish for a pointed butt? Does anybody in Denmark know? Has anybody ever seen one? But of course, most phrases make for a more colorful language and I’m all for that; pointed butt or not.
A ROSE IS A ROSE IS A ROSE
Yeah, I know, not one of the more popular ones. It’s a line Gertrud Stein formulated in a poem back in 1913 and it refers to: “when all is said and done / it is what it is”. I have always liked this phrase, but more so because I was fascinated by the person who introduced me to it – go figure. I don’t use it often as the response for the most is: “What? – Gertrud Steiness who?” So I give up…
BASKET CASE
Here’s a phrase I never use, not even in my writing. When we do use “basket case” it is a reference to people who are out of it, miserable, suffering and so forth; we all get that. But it’s the origin I have a problem with. In World War I, the phrase was used concerning men who had lost their arms and legs, and could only be transported in a basket. The phrase was also used during other wars, but the medical establishment adamantly deny the use of this phrase as a medical term or a term used to describe such unfortunate patient’s condition; yeah, whatever. Even though the term is descriptive, it is rather cruel, insensitive and sad. So I refrain from using it, of course. Wouldn’t you?
A SKELETON IN THE CLOSET
Or a skeleton in the cupboard, as they say in England. Sure, real skeletons are found from time to time, but the phrase is referring to secrets of shame, stupid stuff we are trying to conceal. “Coming out of the closet” is a variant of that, and not solely to make public one’s sexual preference; but it has come to be used more so in that connection, than used in the garden-variety of so many other concealments and secrets.
AN ACT OF GOD
Believe it or not, the above refers to an act which is accepted legally as being outside of human control. Can you believe that? To me it’s the ultimate stretch to justify or rectify any action not explainable by humans (so we blame God, of course). I should have known this when I was a kid.
“Where’s your home-work, Peter?”
“It was an act of God, Sir…”
“Your dog ate it?” I didn’t have a dog, so I would go to plan B.
“No, God did; you go ask Him…” I would spend that afternoon in the principal’s office, being reprimanded concerning respect towards God and dogs.
THE APPLE OF MY EYE
The central aperture of the eye is called the apple, I believe; so let’s go with that. Being the apple of somebody’s eye is substantial, meaning somebody cherished and loved and all that stuff. The opposite of “the apple of my eye” is of course “the apple in my eye”… been there, done that – and it still hurts… I didn't know she hated me that much.
          I do like phrases, no matter how weird some of them are; they dramatize our languages and make them more alive. But with so many things we are saying, terms we are using, we don’t always know the origin and in some cases why we are using them; but we forge ahead anyway, keeping our languages colorful in the process and I have absolutely no problem with that; do you?
Tune in next Monday, please…
Want to be notified about new posts? Follow the directions on your right. New posts of LIFE AS IT REALLY IS are being published every Monday. Thanks so much for following my blog.
Want to forward the link to this blog to friends and family?
It would be highly appreciated.
The more the merrier

No comments:

Post a Comment