Monday, September 26, 2011

I REALLY MUST WASH MY MOUTH WITH SOAP – I swear

Swearing, using what are deemed bad words, expressions and phrases, is unfortunately a universal part of communicating and is used in most languages. We all do it, more or less. I know I do and I am not proud of it, so I’m desperately trying to stop. I’m not going to diminish my use of swearing by telling you that in my estimation I don’t swear a lot, since any use of bad words, expressions and phrases is too much, any time – I swear it is (see, I can’t stop).

So why are some words, expressions and phrases bad? Aren’t they all just a row of individual letters that by themselves are as innocent as new-fallen snow? When these same letters are assembled in other ways they easily make accepted, lovely and even kind words? Why is it that calling a female dog a “bitch” is acceptable, but calling an ex-wife a “bitch” is nasty and perhaps rude? And more importantly, how can we be sure the dog is not offended? No, gentle reader, I’m not going to get hardcore and create a handy dictionary of bad words for you, I’m simply trying to help myself stop doing this swearing thing – really. I’m sure you know what many of those words are anyway.

A common and logic reason attached to the use of swearing is the deficiency some of us have expressing ourselves better, making what we are trying to communicate stand out with the use of accepted language. The lack of using correct words also stems from simple laziness in trying to retrieve what we really know we should say.

Swearing is for the most based on frustration, anger, stress and emotions like that, but not limited to. I find that I lean on the effect (for the most met by untold disgust) that using unacceptable words help underline specific description’s severity or importance – but that use is as wrong as can possibly be. I’m reminded of it every time that stuff flies out of my mouth. A weird thing is that I am offended and puzzled when other people use profanity as I think it sounds stupid and pathetic (welcome in the club, Peter).

When we look at bad words individually or phrases and start picking them apart, find out from where they originated and why they actually got such bad reputation, for the most it all seems rather innocent. We soon acknowledge that for the most it comes down to our interpretation of what has been passed to us from earlier generations (Dad, how could you?) Not particularly very scientific, huh? And have you noticed how elegantly I have avoided any use of those words outright? I know it’s not fair as I would really like to give examples, but I don’t want to as it’s part of my eager attempt to stop swearing (long pause and a sigh)… Okay, I’ll give you one example, so here we go (sorry Mom).

Let’s work with the word that starts with an S and ends on HIT (I can’t even write it). The first use of this word dates back to around 1526 and is seriously catalogued as vulgar – duh! One of the many uses of this word is for nonsense and I’m sure you know some of the more common interpretations. So let’s clean up our language and use the accepted form of that same word by saying FECES. You tell me, but doesn’t that actually sound even more vulgar? I knew you would agree. So can we find a fine line between vulgar language and accepted speech? No such luck. Bad language is just that, bad language; it has been established as such for hundreds of years. Yes I know, not the tough and juicy treatment of a sensitive subject.

Not to justify being somewhat potty-mouthed, but I have personally accepted the use of CRAP and I’ll tell you why. Thomas Crapper was a plumber in London back in the latter part of 1800-whatever. Rumors are random that he invented the flush toilet, but that is not true. He did a lot of installations of this new invention through his plumbing business and the term CRAP became popular (but not by Mr. Crapper himself, I’m sure). Just a note of understanding: my use of crap is solely covering nonsense and silliness, not that feces-thing; so is that okay with you? If not, I’ll stop right away, but watch out, I could get crappy in the process…

I do not find any form of justification for me to swear; it’s ignorant and rather pathetic. Does anger or frustration get the best of me – or the worst, actually? Yes, and I find that to be a very weak link in my attempts to communicate, so I should stop; no, I must stop this crap (read: nonsense or silliness), really. I’m 65 and it’s about time I wash my mouth with soap – I swear it is.

See you next Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment