Monday, June 15, 2015

NORWEGIAN AIR SHUTTLE: open letter to Bjorn Kjos (CEO)



(Concerning full refund or full credit with respect to services purchased but not received).
As a frequent flier through the last 50-some years, I have been utterly lucky as I have never missed a flight and the most delayed departure I have ever experienced was 8 hours some 10-15 years ago. 

I fully understand and appreciate that flights can be delayed due to several issues; I have no problem with that at all. I can understand that airlines are on very tight schedules and that any delay, etc. cuts into the profit. I have no problem with that at all.

Together with 280-some other passengers on flight DY7063 which was scheduled from Oslo (Norway) to land in Oakland (California) around 6 PM, May 30 - 2015, we ended up being dumped off in San Francisco instead, on June 1, at around 4:30 AM - a 36-plus hour’s delay.

It was not the delay in itself, and many agree with me on that, but it was the seemingly total lack of interest from Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS), by miss-information and lack of information, which created the feeling that we were of no interest to them (NAS), that we were more so a nuisance than a situation they needed to solve – and fast, to fulfill the contracts NAS had made with these 280-some customers. The service that NAS take pride in was non-existent and that was a grave disappointment for anybody involved and that’s what I have a huge problem with.

In planning our annual Europe trip, we decided to try Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS) for the first time. We flew from Oakland to Oslo and from Oslo to Paris. Later on my wife flew from London to Stockholm and I flew from London to Copenhagen. Returning to Oakland I flew from Billund (Denmark) to Oslo and then from Oslo to Oakland a few hours later; at least that was what I had bought. My wife flew back to Oakland from Stockholm a week later.

So that is a total of 9 individual flights with NAS. 7 flights were on time including a few minutes of delay here and there – no big deal. My wife’s flight Stockholm – Oakland was delayed in departure 2-1/2 hours, but they caught up an hour in flight so it was down to 1-1/2 hours delay in arrival - we can live with that. But then it was the dreaded flight DY7063 – and that is a very different story…

I arrived in Oslo from Billund somewhat delayed, but as my flight to Oakland had a couple of hours in between, I was fine time-wise. I did have to pick up my luggage and check back in – no big deal. At the check-in counter I was told I had 1-1/2 kilo over the 20 kilo allowed. The not very friendly counter-clerk told me it would be 90 NKR (about $12). I didn’t feel like fiddling with removing 1-1/2 kilo dirty clothes and stuff it into my carry-on, so I gave her a credit card. For some reason the card-reader she used didn’t work properly; not that she didn’t try (while a ton of other passengers patiently waited to check in).  Finally she more or less threw the card at me and told me the card didn’t work (which was not true – the machine didn’t work), so she couldn’t charge me; and no ‘have a pleasant trip’ from her…

At the gate, about an hour before scheduled departure at 4:45 PM, the first text message said:
Welcome on board DY7063 30.May Oslo/Oakland Dep: 4:45 PM

The gate area filled up as we got nearer boarding, but then nothing happened – absolutely nothing. Then the next text message said:
‘...Dep: 4:45 PM …new gate: 51’ (texted at 4:51 PM – we should have boarded by now, shouldn’t we?) And off the herd of cattle went to the ‘new gate’…

We got way past 4:45 PM and a short message came through the PA system telling us that the flight had been delayed ‘indefinitely’. Look it up and it pretty much means ‘forever’ or ‘open-ended’. And that was the entire message, nothing about the problem causing the delay, no new departure time – nothing. 

So we sat there for a while longer patiently waiting and another text popped up (and now it’s already 6:59 PM):
We regret to inform that your flight is delayed… Dept: 4:45 PM. New estimated Dept: 5:20 PM…’ (So that was already 1hr 40mins ago??? Somebody is a bit screwed up with the information stuff, huh?)

So we continued to sit there patiently waiting. No NAS representation to answer questions – nothing. After an hour or so, masses of passengers started to move towards some stairs and we had no idea what that was about. So people got up and asked some of these fleeing passengers and found out that the flight had been canceled and we would be staying overnight – that was about all we could find out. So we followed the rest. Nothing was texted and nothing over the PA system.

We found out (but not with any help from NAS at all) that we needed to pick up our luggage and go to some NAS counter in the departure area to be assigned a hotel and further instruction. So the cattle were herded along – by themselves – nobody from NAS to help.

Arriving in the ‘counter-area’, I found out from other passengers that I needed a number to be “served”. And then I waited and waited as four NAS counter-persons tried desperately to serve 280-some situations. It literally took hours.

Finally got the hotel information and fought for a seat on a 60 passenger bus with over 150 people at that point waiting for transportation to the hotel. It was a 50 minute ride and then another long line to check in a get a room while constantly being texted about new departure times, over and over.

I don’t feel like retelling this nightmare in full detail, though it continued in full, but I can only surmise that NAS did not have an interest in being of any service. Yes the hotel was nice, the food edible (pizza), etc. but I had not planned and did not want to stay in Oslo for longer than a couple of hours.

“New’ departure times changed about 6-7 times, and we finally ended up leaving the hotel May 31 around 7:30 PM. We were assigned an obscure, not very clean, old plane (EuroAtlantic) which no doubt was ‘rented’ by NAS to fly us. More cattle herding:

When everybody had sat at the gate for a long time, we were asked to leave the gate area. So everybody got up and left and then we were let back in one by one – and some more waiting. Nobody from NAS was around, and again nothing came over the PA system. So the bottom line is:

I had purchased a ticket for a flight from Oslo to Oakland May 30, departure 4:45 PM, arrival 6:00 PM. You had sold me that flight promising:

Newer clean plane (ECO Friendly) with entertainment (TV monitor, movies, games, etc.) / I did not receive that.

Free Wi-Fi / I did not get that.

We were all promised 90 NKR voucher for a snack before boarding because it was so late and the last meal you served at the hotel was at 1:30 PM – next meal (if any) wouldn’t be before 2:30 AM, 13 hours later / I did not receive that.

I had purchased a Nice & Tasty Menu meal ($42). Everybody got some unspecified chicken/fish / I did not get the meal I had purchased and paid for.

We were told 30 minutes before landing that it would be at San Francisco not Oakland / You did NOT deliver me at the geographical place I had purchased and paid for.
 
What about all the people waiting to pick us up in Oakland? With the lack of Wi-Fi on board, it was hard to impossible to get hold of them if they were not aware of the change in landing site?

You sold me high quality service (your words) / we got absolutely nothing of the kind. Etc. etc. etc…

It has now been over 2 weeks since I finally got home and I have not heard a word from your company about an apology for the utter inconvenience and the total lack of service you clearly exposed. Is that the way to run your business?

Again, I have nothing against delays, but I most certainly have a lot against bad to zero service. In the long run you’ll lose customers if this is the way you treat these kinds of ‘situations'. We felt like a herd of cattle and the above is not even half of the 36 hours we all went through. If you had had the courtesy to apply a couple of NAS representatives ‘comforting’ us, letting us know you actually cared, answering questions, etc. would have helped a lot – but you obviously didn’t feel it was worth it.

On this ‘flight’ you did not to any extent deliver the product I had purchased, so I’m asking for either a full ticket refund or a full credit for future travel. Yes, I will still consider flying with Norwegian again, but that decision will be based on your response to this open letter to Mr. Bjorn Kjos (CEO).

Sincerely,
Peter B. Steiness

PS. I have copies of all SMS’ communicated to me from NAS, tickets, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment