Tuesday, July 15, 2014

TRAVEL PACKING – a refined art form



The more I can travel the better. Any size of trip broadens my mind and teaches me a lot; it’s a fascinating thing to do, it really is. And it’s not just the trip itself, but the planning, the expectations and of course the utter excitement of packing. Calculating the right quantity of clean undergarments, decide on ankle or tube-socks and other life-saving being-away-from-home necessities to bring along, can in itself be extremely exciting – okay, in a weird kind of way, but still exciting.


My packing background and self-inflicted packing expertise is based on countless trips within Europe as a young lad living in Denmark and then from many trips to Europe and elsewhere since I moved to the USA. We go to Scandinavia at least once a year. It’s not like we travel with deep pockets, but visiting our family and friends in Scandinavia has always been a travel priority – so we have made it happen. 


Tomorrow morning we are off to Florence and Tuscany (Italy) and on to Denmark and Sweden. We planned and bought the flying, hotels, museums and rental cars some 4-5 months ago; a lot of time to enjoy great expectations. And then the all-important travel packing must be done; talking about utter excitement. 


Some travel light with barely enough clean undies and socks to last half the trip; the reason some tourists smell, well like tourists. Some overload on a lot of unnecessary stuff (flat screen TVs and microwave ovens); some pack and repack 2-3 months ahead of time. Some promise themselves that THIS time the packing will be done so ahead of time – and then they scramble to fill the suitcase with anything an hour before departure – but they promise themselves that NEXT time will be different – and it really won’t.


We have the ones who, for some slightly warped reason pack every bloody thing in Ziploc bags of all sizes – and then mark them using a blue Sharpie just in case they don’t fully recognize their own underwear through the clear plastic - duh.


Some travelers use bags bigger than Ziplocs, cramming a bunch of stuff in there and mark it “Tuesday”, or whatever day these clothes will be worn; from undies (sounds like I’m excited about undies, huh? Well, I am, all depending…) to blouses, socks, shoes, jewelry, and the occasionally weird travel hats. I’m positive that we have as many different packing-strategies as we have travelers.


When I pack depends solely on the time of departure – rather scientific, huh? Tomorrow’s take-off is at 8am which means we leave home for the airport at 4:30am, getting up at 3:30am. So my packing will take place the evening before, with a light round-up in the morning. Pay attention, because this is how it’s done – fast, furiously and efficient; you might even want to take notes.


We will be gone 22 days including full days of travel on each end. Looking at the itinerary, we are staying with good friends in Bedonia (Italy) from day 8 through day 11. So I inquired about the availability of laundry facilities. All Angela said, in fluent Italian, was: “DUH”, which actually means: “Duh, e persona stupida” (translates to: “of course, you silly person”). A second laundry facility will be available near Stockholm (Sweden) on day 17, so I plan my clean underwear strategy accordingly.


Based on the above and without the use of an adding machine, I can now calculate quantities using the figure 10. This will leave me a bit of breathing room for the “just in case” moments, of which I have had none what so ever – ever. You are proud of me, aren’t you?


So the evening before take-off I lay out my travel-clothes, top to bottom. Then I pack, based on 10: 10 pairs of underwear, 10 pairs of socks (2 variations), and a mix of 10 T-Shirts, polo-shirts and perhaps a dress shirt – but rarely. As the weather should be warm in Italy and predictably unpredictable in Denmark and Sweden, I will bring 3 pairs of shorts (heavy duty with lots of pockets) and some cargo-pants. I add a couple of sweaters (for cool Nordic nights) and a thin nylon jacket that is actually very warm (for cool and rainy Nordic nights).


I travel in sneakers, light as can be, and pack a heavier pair for variety and support. We are going to do a lot of walking, but mostly on flat and paved surfaces, so hiking-boots are not needed. By the way, the last time I said “hiking-boots are not needed”, I broke a leg – brilliant. And that’s about it – fast, furious and simple; not the broken leg thing, but the packing.


I’m a very active photographer, so my carry-on will have a couple of cameras, some lenses and other photo stuff. I also pack a laptop (checking E-Mails, looking at the day’s photos, etc.), my Kindle Fire (for reading), both my US and European mobiles, as well as my iPod for musical entertainment and Italian lessons; yes, I want to verbally communicate (and embarrass myself) with the natives beyond handing out round and shiny objects to appease them; “prego prego”. I also pack a few pens, a steno-pad as well as all the reservation documents, passports, ticket information, a bit of cash, a credit and debit card – just in case, huh?


The morning of departure, I place my beauty-bag on the bathroom counter, and as I go through my normal beautification routine, the stuff I use, go into the bag after I use it (after brushing teeth, all of them, toothbrush and paste are dumped in, etc.) very quick and efficient. And I’m good to fly…


I have never missed anything, but at times I have packed stuff where I have spent a bit of time going: “Now why the heck did I bring this?” Case in point, on a 12-day solo trip to Denmark visiting my Mother, I brought one of them rubber elastic band exercise things that never made it out of the Ziploc (Oh my, it WAS in one of those bags). Well, the intentions were good.


On another solo-trip I brought so much writing-stuff as I was working on my first book. A heavy duty HP laptop, research material, pads and pens and lots of notes. I sat down and wrote only once – and then I dragged everything back to California.


I have never been insanely concerned about how I dress when I travel – simply because I travel, so I consider whatever I want to wear is cool. I have never felt over-dressed, but on the other hand I have never felt under-dressed either. I start every day in clean clothes, including clean undies – isn't that all we should expect from a vary traveler?


But I wouldn’t be surprised if the natives are commenting behind my back: “Look at what he is wearing – he must be a great travel packer… Or perhaps his wife is…” – I would tell them that it’s just from years of experience.


In spite of my travel packing being a thing of efficient beauty and swiftness, I am staying so far away from commenting on how my wife or anybody else packs for trips, simply because I am not, as they say in Italian: “Una persona stupida” and I think that’s pretty smart, don’t you?

Ciao, Pietra

No comments:

Post a Comment