Monday, June 6, 2011

TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH - I don't know if I'm Lying

I'm very wary of people who says: "to tell you the truth" or use the terms: "quite frankly" or "honestly". I don't know about you, but doesn't that make you wonder how much truth has been communicated to you up till that point?

Let's get this straight: a lie is a lie, no matter what color is attached. Sure we all hide behind "white lies", white, assumed to be the color of innocence; so does that make it more acceptable? To me, a white one is still a lie.

But it's not your fault, it's our parent's fault, of course; they taught us how to do it, and when we become parents we do the same - well not I, of course. We tell our children that the "painting" they brought home from kindergarten is "beautiful" - is that really the truth only because we know nothing about art? We are asked several times daily: "How are you?" and for the most we lie: "Fine, thanks", no matter how awful we feel. And so forth.

If we could just tell the truth, things would be a lot easier and faster. In court: Judge: "Did you commit this crime? Alleged criminal: "Yes, Sir - and I'm sorry...". Friend: "How do you like my new dress?" Soon to be ex-friend: "It sucks and make you look fat and not very attractive." And the classic: "This car has only had one owner - a little old lady with blue hair...". You get the picture.

The disturbing part about this is two-fold: It seems we can't co-exist without lying, and that is sad. But what's even sadder is that we all accept lying to be part of our communication with fellow men, women and children; we are all lying and we all know we are lied to - and I think that's sad, to tell you the truth...

Make it a lovely week and maybe a more truthful one? I know, too much to ask - really.

No comments:

Post a Comment